Media Player

Recently Windows 7 media player will not connect devices to allow copying of music. I was always able to copy music from laptop to pendrive, now impossible as it will not sync and connect external devices. the pendrive is connected and recognised by my laptop, but not to Media pLayer

Operating system:Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) Service Pack 1
System root: C:Windows
Available physical memory: 3999 MB
CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
Drive Info:
C: 448.79 GB
D: 16.67 GB
E: 0.10 GB
F: 0.19 GB
Internet Explorer: 11.0

Launch these commands from an elevated command prompt:

netsh Interface 6to4 set state state= default
netsh Interface isatap set state state= default
netsh interface teredo set state type= default
Launch this command from a simple (or elevated) command prompt and see if the services are started (they should be started on your system):

sc query wsearch & sc query rpcss & sc query rpceptmapper & sc query dcomlaunch & sc query WMPNetworkSvc

I get this on Windows 8.1 x64 - updated (but i disabled Windows search and the synchronization on WMP works the same):

SERVICE_NAME: wsearch

TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

STATE : 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1077 (0x435)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT : 0x0

WAIT_HINT : 0x0

SERVICE_NAME: rpcss

TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

STATE : 4 RUNNING

(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_NAME: rpceptmapper

SERVICE_NAME: dcomlaunch

SERVICE_NAME: WMPNetworkSvc

TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

STATE : 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1077 (0x435)

Ok did that, (I am hot on virus etc checking running win eessentials, adw cleaner, superanti and malware

it said ' You do not sufficient rights to register the Certificates snap-in' but lots of lines skipped through..............then it stopped.

media player the same (I have also deinstalled and tried to reinstall it, that failed so did a system restore to recover it.)

Ok, let's try with SURT and SFC:

Download and run

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014]

From an elevated command prompt, launch (Windows installation cd could be necessary):

sfc /scannow
Wait till it finishes (15-50 minutes).

If the final result is equal to Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations or equal to Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, launch this command:

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log "%userprofile%\desktop\CheckSUR.txt"
After it, you should find checkSUR.txt on your desktop: post it here.

Instead if the final result of the SFC TOOL is equal to Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, launch both the previous command in the code above AND also this command:

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt" && findstr /c:"[SR]" "%userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt" > "%userprofile%\desktop\SR.txt"
After those two commands, you should find three files on your desktop: checkSUR.txt, cbs.txt and SR.txt: post here the checkSUR.txt and the sr.txt.

If the last command won't work, try these (one by one):

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt"
findstr /c:"[SR]" "%userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt" > "%userprofile%\desktop\SR.txt"

How to run an elevated command prompt for Windows vista/seven users

One of these three methods:

- click start, all programs, accessories, right-click the command prompt in the list and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, right-click the cmd in the list of results and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, press and keep pressed ctrl + shift Keys on your keyboard, then press enter, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

OK thanks I really appreciate the help but..........frankly this is now just to hairy and I am out of my depth. I think it is ridiculous that something as simple as copying files needs all this (I know its not your fault) So I will either take my laptop into a local geek or just copy the music from the music files with the standard copy function, its no surprise people go Apple. Windows et al is just useless at times.