[WiseFolderHider] Questions concerning V4.14.151

Hello,

I run WiseFolderHider Free on Windows10. After migrating to V4.14.151, the main window showed me two entries: one directory on my hard disk including drive letter (D:\Folder1), another directory on a USB drive, that was not plugged in, without drive letter (\Folder2). Why directories are displayed that are physically inaccessible?
After clicking Open-Unhide for both entries, \Folder2 disappeared. After that, Windows Explorer was opened automatically showing D:\Folder1. Why Windows Explorer is opened automatically? I prefer other File Manager tools.
But: Folder2 remains disappeared, both in WiseFolderHider, as well as in Windows Explorer or other File Manager tools. How do I get back Folder2 and its files?
After hiding Folder 1 again, it is no longer displayed in Windows Explorer, but in TotalCommander (version 9), the folder is shown and the names of all files within Folder1, even though the option 'Do not show hidden files' is set. But after all, the displayed file names can not be opened (error message). The same happens with file managers MultiCommander and FileZilla. Does this 'works as designed' or is it a bug with TotolCommander, MultiCommander, FileZilla or WiseFolderHider?
Thanks for help and answers.

Klaus

Thanks for your feedback.
The issue of USB drive, we knew it and will fix it in next update.
TotolCommander, MultiCommander, FileZilla or other programs can display hidden files, it is not a bug. Wise Folder Hider 3 use a strong method to hide files and folders, these third party programs cannot display hidden files and folders, but it is not stable enough. So, we released Wise Folder Hider 4, more stable than v3, the only one weakness is Free version use a simple method to hide files. For improving security, we added Encryption function, any third party program can not display an encrypted file/folder.

If you need higher protection, I recommend you to upgrade to Pro version. 

Thank you for the answers. I have not dealt up to now with the encryption function of WFH, I will make up immediately. Two questions of my last Sunday posting remained unanswered: can I prevent Windows Explorer from being opened automatically after using Open-Unhide and for me more importantly: is there any chance to get back the disappeared folder and the files on the USB stick? Thanks Klaus

Hey,

sorry, I missed your post.

1, Can I prevent Windows Explorer from being opened automatically after using Open-Unhided?

You mean, you don't want Explorer to open Hidden folder automatically when you click Open button?

2, Is there any chance to get back the disappeared folder and the files on the USB stick?

How does the 'disappear' happened? You hide a file on USB disk, then you unhide it, but folder disappeared?

Hello,

1, Exactly, the reason is that I normally have always opened a file manager (before I start working with WFH), so I do not need Windows Explorer in addition.

2, When I opened WFH after migrating to V4.14.151, two entries were displayed, one on the hard disk (eg D:/Folder1) and one on an USB stick that was not plugged in at this time (eg /Folder2, without drive letter). Unfortunately, I then made both entries Open-Unhide (admitted: that was not very smart). Thereupon, both entries disappeared in WFH. To the files of Folder1 on the hard disk I can access, but Folder2 and its files remain disappeared, both in WFH as on the associated USB stick.

3, Additional question: How can it happen that WFH displays a folder on an USB stick, which is not plugged in (see question 2)?

Thanks in advance

Klaus

Hey,

1, Current version, you cannot disable Windows Explorer to open your hidden file/folder when you click Open button.

2, There is a bug that if you hide a folder on an USB device, then close WFH and plug out USB device, when you open WFH, there is a entry about USB device but without drive letter. We will fix it in next update. 

Normally, when you plug in the USB device, you can see the folder directly (no need to open WFH). Or, you can plug USB device in another PC.

Hello again,

1, Thanks so far. A little bit annoying is, that every WFH entry for which is made Open-Unhide, starts a new Explorer instance. So, with three WFH entries there will be three new separate Explorer instances.
2, Still I was not sucessful to retrieve my directories / files of the USB stick, but I work on it ...

Klaus

For most users, automatic open the hidden folder/file directory via windows explorer, it is nice experiance. Think about that, first you need to click unhide/open button, then find and open folder/file directory, 3 steps to open a hidden file. But, with the automatica function, 1 step to open hidden folder, 2 steps to open a hidden file.
How does one explorer instance to open 2 more different directorys?
I will send your feedback to the developer team, maybe they have a good idea to fix your problem.

Hey,

Excuse for my faulty choice of the word 'instance' above. What I wanted to say: with every Open-Unhide a new copy of Windows-Explorer is opened. So: if, for example, one task of Windows Explorer already exists and then I make for two WFH entries Open-Unhide, then afterwards there exist a total of 3 Windows Explorer tasks.

Klaus

1, You hided 3 files/folders, when you click Open button to open them , it will open 3 Explorer windows. Because, one Open manage one hidden file/folder, even if several files are hided in the same folder.

2, You hide a file, you click Open button, it will open 1 Explorer window, after that you click Unhide button, it will open another Explorer window. so, there are 2 Explorer windows. Because Open and Unhide button are doing different operations.