Audio driver not fully installing

Audio Driver will not install properly. At first, I thought it was the onboard audio device, so I bought a plug & play USB sound adapter, but its driver will not fully install either. The error message I get when I try to install the driver for both the onboard IDT sound device and the C-Media (Prudent Way) USB Sound Adapter is "driver problem". In the details, it says "Windows Update configured to never install drivers", but I can't find anywhere in Windows that says it is prohibited from installing updates to drivers. The details also tell me that "there might be a problem with your audio advice", but I doubt that is the case because it's happening with two different audio devices. Finally, the details tell me "There is a problem with the driver for C-Media USB Headphone Set. The driver needs to be reinstalled". However, whenever I try to reinstall the driver, I end up right back at the troubleshooting report which returns the above statements.

The rest of my computer, in every area, works perfectly...I just have zero audio.

Any suggestions?

Operating system:Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

System root: C:\WINDOWS

Available physical memory: 7575 MB

CPU: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Drive Info:

C: 911.17 GB

D: 18.43 GB

J: 698.64 GB

Internet Explorer: 11.0