Microsoft Windows Vista Problem

Hi. Whenever I try to click on the "Help and Support" tab in Windows Vista, I keep getting this message: "Windows Help and Support is unable to start." I'm a complete novice when it comes to computers, and basically only use them for e-mail, word processing, browsing the internet, and reading my e-books on my laptop. So please forgive me if I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this. Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated! Have a Blessed Day.

.png

Operating system:Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) Service Pack 2

System root: C:Windows

Available physical memory: 3061 MB

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz

Drive Info:

C: 230.35 GB

Internet Explorer: 9.0

Hi nightowl.

This problem is usually solved by the MS SFC tool (system file checker).

Launch sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, wait till it finishes and see whether the problem disappears.

If not, reboot your machine and re-check.

Looking forward for your kind feedback!

How to run an elevated command prompt for Windows vista/seven users

One of these three methods:

- click start, all programs, accessories, right-click the command prompt in the list and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, right-click the cmd in the list of results and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, press and keep pressed ctrl + shift Keys on your keyboard, then press enter, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

Hi xilolee. First, thanks so much for helping me with my latest computer issue. Now the good/bad news (lol): your solution worked beautifully (thank youx3), and now I'm able to launch the help and support tab on my pc without any problems whatsoever! :)  Yeah (but knock on wood).

Now the bad news: After I ran the sfc/scannow prompt as you instructed, this was the result: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

When I then tried to open the CBS log text document on my computer, I got this message: "Access is denied." Shoot!!! :wacko:

Now what do I do? Please let it be a "simple" fix, since I'm really starting to stress out about all the problems I've been having with this darn laptop after I stupidly did a clean install on it after it got infected with some virus that altered the way my computer used to work.

Sorry!!! Just had to put that out there before I start bawling my eyes out (again!) after I lost all of my personal documents, plus my entire Calibre library, which had over 950 books on there!

Very long story, and if I had the money to hire someone whom I could trust to find my lost data, I wouldn't hesitate. But it frustrates me because I saved that library on a USB flash drive, and when I tried to copy it to drive c, I didn't see my books listed (or maybe I did; who knows anymore); just some mumbo-jumbo I'll never understand. But anyway....

Getting back to this current issue. If you could instruct me on how to fix this problem, I'd be extremely grateful. :)

Regards,

Nightowl

Ok! :)

Let's try to solve that: check the following procedure and re-try also the SFC command (someone says that it should be run three times...).

Download and run System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [October 2014]

From an elevated command prompt, launch (Windows installation cd could be necessary):

sfc /scannow
Wait till it finishes (15-50 minutes).

If the final result is equal to Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations or equal to Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, launch this command:

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log %userprofile%\desktop\CheckSUR.txt
After it, you should find checkSUR.txt on your desktop: post it here.

Instead if the final result of the SFC TOOL is equal to Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, launch both the previous command in the code above AND also this command:

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt && findstr /c:"[SR]" %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt > %userprofile%\desktop\SR.txt
After those two commands, you should find three files on your desktop: checkSUR.txt, cbs.txt and SR.txt: post here the checkSUR.txt and the sr.txt.

If the last command won't work, try these (one by one):

copy %SYSTEMROOT%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt
findstr /c:"[SR]" %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt > %userprofile%\desktop\SR.txt

How to run an elevated command prompt for Windows vista/seven users

One of these three methods:

- click start, all programs, accessories, right-click the command prompt in the list and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, right-click the cmd in the list of results and click run as administrator, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

- click start, type cmd in the searchbox, press and keep pressed ctrl + shift Keys on your keyboard, then press enter, click yes on the user account control window that should appear

Hi again, xilolee. Guess what? Everything is all fixed (Hurray!!! :) ), and I found my calibre library last night!!!! :wub:

For some reason, I can't seem to track down my personal documents, though. So that's another project I'll be working on this week. LOL.

Finally, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!! :)  I wish that I could put you on speed-dial, since you've been so patient with me, and really taught me that if I ask for help, I won't ever regret it.

Gratefully yours,

Nightowl

P.S.  I found my library by restoring my files through Backblaze Back-up Services. It cost me $50 bucks a year, but well

worth every cent.

Take care!

One other thing. Can I delete that confirmation that everything was okay with my system, or keep it?