Sound card isn't working

My micphone isn't working at all. It told me that my sound card isnt working. I need to know how to fix the problem.

Operating system:Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

System root: C:\WINDOWS

Available physical memory: 3668 MB

CPU: AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Drive Info:

C: 918.59 GB

D: 11.10 GB

Internet Explorer: 11.0

Some ways to fix:

1. Right click on sound icon found at the taskbar then right click and select Sounds, select the "Recording" tab and then select Microphone, then properties. From the listen tab select Continue Running on battery power, on levels tab increase the Microphone and Microphone Boost, on advanced tab choose the last option in Default Format and select the two box in Exclusive Mode. Click apply and then ok.

2. Open Action Center, then Troubleshooting, then Hardware and Sound. Run as administrator on Playing Audio, Recording Audio, Hardware and Devices.

3. Run Maintenance from Action Center, then download updates at Windows Update.

4. Run Device Manager, shortcut: (Win+r and type" devmgmt.msc" without the quotation). Under Audio inputs and Outputs right click on Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) and select Update Driver Software... First Select Browse my computer for driver software, then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, the select next and wait for installation to complete and close. After that Update the same driver but now select Search automatically for updated driver software (requires internet connection), and wait because it may take some seconds or a minute to finish searching online and installing updated driver.

Thank you Jayzx!  You did help me a lot. I do like the tip that gave me about the Device Manager. you can pick your own device driver. I didn't know that you could do that. Now I know how to do it. I will be do that now on. I need to check on my drivers that needs update. You were very helpful. By the way it was the volume of my microphone was turned down. I just didn't think to turn it up. I did everything what you said and everything ready to go.

Thank you Jayzx!  You did help me a lot. I do like the tip that gave me about the Device Manager. you can pick your own device driver. I didn't know that you could do that. Now I know how to do it. I will be do that now on. I need to check on my drivers that needs update. You were very helpful. By the way it was the volume of my microphone was turned down. I just didn't think to turn it up. I did everything what you said and everything ready to go.

Your welcome. Always glad to help :)

I also didn't know about the device driver until I tried it. Share the knowledge. :)