Periodically, screen goes blank for 2 seconds, then display returns

Hi,

Every 30 seconds or so, my laptop screen will flicker and go black for about two seconds, i.e. icons, taskbar, whatever is displayed, everything, simply disappears for a couple of seconds then reappears. The cursor disappears also, and has to be relocated to where it was prior to the screen going blank.

I doubt it's a hardware issue, my feeling is that there must be a display driver or memory problem.

The laptop is <1 year old, running windows 8.1 with 32Mb RAM, running an Intel HD Graphics 4000 Adapter and an 8Mb NVIDIA GeForce 680M.

I can't think of what to do except maybe try and reload the drivers from the Win 8.1 upgrade. I don't know how I'll do that yet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA,

DK

2b48b52f88c9584ca78cd2cb84927066.png

Operating system:Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

System root: C:\WINDOWS

Available physical memory: 32659 MB

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Drive Info:

C: 223.47 GB

E: 931.51 GB

Internet Explorer: 11.0

Do you also get a message indicating your graphics' driver has stopped working and has recovered. If so, this is quite common with some vintages of drivers and hardware combinations. The only thing I can suggest is to try the latest driver and work backwards (to earlier driver versions) or see if Window Update has one for you.

Good luck,

UCanFixit

Some laptops with dual display require specialized drivers from the manufacturer of your laptop.  I would not recommend letting Windows update your video drivers.  Go to the laptop manufacturers website and download only the drivers specifically designed for your model of laptop.  I have serviced two laptops in the last six weeks that had video issues, which I managed to resolve by installing the specific and appropriate drivers.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil