Windows Update Cleanup request?

Sardoc

Hello

I'd like to make a feature request for Wise Disk Cleaner.

In October 2013, Microsoft released an add-on for Windows Disk Cleanup utility, called Windows Update Cleanup. It was built into Windows 8.1, and an update was made for Windows 7 (KB2852386). More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386/en-us

It removes old files which are no longer needed from Winsxs folder, just like sp1cln.exe or compcln.exe tools did. However, there was no such update made for Vista. This is what bothers me, because while Win 7 more or less keeps its size, Vista grows like mad after every update (including .net updates). I had asked MS if there were any plans for this update for Vista, but it doesn't look like it. Again, doesn't make sense to me, because I'm sure Vista would handle this addon just fine, but it's being artificially killed by MS.

Would it be possible to have this kind of tool developed in Wise Disk Cleaner? I'm not gonna lie, Vista users would most probably appreciate this a lot. I'd expect around 1-3gb HDD space is wasted by old files, which we no longer need.

Hi Sardoc,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not a Wise employee but I thought I would offer my opinion as well. So, I doubt that Wise will undertake such a specific venture because it is has been corrected with later operating systems; however, that's just my opinion. Anyway, have a look at this article and see if these tools might help. Bear in mind I have no experience with Vista because I went straight from XP to Win 7:

Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder with vsp1cln.exe and compcln.exe - TechRepublic

Good luck and thanks for the suggestion,

UCanFixit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sardoc,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not a Wise employee but I thought I would offer my opinion as well. So, I doubt that Wise will undertake such a specific venture because it is has been corrected with later operating systems; however, that's just my opinion. Anyway, have a look at this article and see if these tools might help. Bear in mind I have no experience with Vista because I went straight from XP to Win 7:

Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder with vsp1cln.exe and compcln.exe - TechRepublic

Good luck and thanks for the suggestion,

UCanFixit

Hi,

Just an fyi...the link you embedded is actually the url for this thread. The correct one is:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/reduce-the-size-of-the-winsxs-folder-with-vsp1clnexe-and-compclnexe/1060/

I guess no one bothered to read the article (or you'd have heard about the link sooner than now)..

I'm glad I did (well, kinda sorta).  As a result, several clicks later, when I landed on the Disk Cleanup add-on to remove old Windows Update files (which required doing the old Genuine Advantage validation),  I was able to discover that, somewhere along the line, something broke somewhere, which causes the Validation tool to return an error of "code not available".  (The "glad" part is, I'm glad I found out now.)  The weird thing is, I've run the validation tool in the past without a problem. 

I checked my product key to make sure there wasn't a problem (I knew there wouldn't be, since it was provided directly from TechNet), but did as they suggested and re-entered).  And it validated.  I ran the System File Checker and did a restart.  No luck. So, next step is seeing if there's anything major in the CBS log.

So yeah, "thanks" UCan.  Thanks a lot!  (Just kidding.  Like I said, I'm glad I found out now.)  :P