enablement of java

Hello forum-members,

I´ve got a problem and I wonder if anybody might be able to help me.

I´d very much like to tune into shortwave radio stations via the internet. There is a variety of sites that allow me to do so (they can be found here: www.websdr.org).

However in order to produce sound (and the waterfall image) java has to be installed and working.

The matter of fact is that java is installed on my computer and all of my browsers should be able to make use of java as well.

I´ve got several browsers installed (firefox, IE, opera, chrome) but neither of these seems to be able to cope with the demands. There´s always a text that says:

"It seems Java is not installed or disabled on your computer".

Now I don´t know what to do. :(

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks in advance

Rosika

Hi Rosika,

Go here to verify that Java is correctly installed on your computer:
Verify Java Version

If not, download and install the latest version here:
Free Java Download

If it is installed, come back and let us know and please provide some additional detailed information regarding errors, warnings and messages received. Also, FYI, some browsers require a browser add-on for Java to work properly when accessing websites. However, I do remember that Firefox automatically disabled their Java add-on because Oracle (the Java provider) was not doing a good enough job of keeping Java secure enough for general use. At that point, I chose to do a complete uninstall of the Oracle Java because (I felt) it was not worth the security risk.

Hello UCanFixIt,

thank you very much for your fast reply.

I am pretty sure that Java is correctly installed on my computer as it appears in the windows list of installed programmes.

However I visited the above mentioned site in order to verify my Java version. Alas the verification process couldn´t be carried out (see attached file).

I also checked the installed plugins in the browsers (IE). I can safely say that in IE the java plugin is installed and activated. However it says that there is an add-on which couldn´t be

executed for this website.

P.S.:

My system:

WIN7 Home Premium, SP1

Greetings

Rosika

post-9557-0-08059100-1392302060_thumb.jpg

I am pretty sure that Java is correctly installed on my computer

It may be installed but it is not working (as identified by the error message). Try this:

Completely uninstall Java from your PC via the add/remove programs menu.

Check your browsers for remnants of Java add-ons and delete them.

Reboot

Reinstall Java from the download link I gave you previously.

Now, try and access a Java website with one of your browsers and see if it works or prompts you to install a Java plugin.

BTW, is there any chance your PC might be infected with malware?

Hello again,

Completely uninstall Java from your PC via the add/remove programs menu.

Check your browsers for remnants of Java add-ons and delete them.

Reboot

I did all that. Until now successful.

Then I tried to install Java from the download link you provided. That however failed (see attached file) and I don´t know why.

Greetings

Rosika

P.S.:

My system is malware-free.

post-9557-0-95100600-1392308551_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know why there is corruption either. Sometimes corruption occurs when you try and download a large file via your browser (like a large ISO) and the recommended solution is to use a download manager as an alternative. Another possibility might be that your hard drive is starting to fail (causing the download to be corrupted) but I doubt that is the case here. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to try the download again but lets use a different pasge this time. Please be aware that you may need both the x32 and the x64 download (depending on your unknown configuration). Read the instructions on this new download page and good luck.

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

Hello UCanFixIt,

I tried all the things you suggested but everything failed to work.

In the meantime I even used a specific java-uninstaller (JavaRa 2.5). With its help I was able to remove even the java registry-entries. However a new installation of java seems not to

be possilble at all (see attached file).

Neither online installation nor offline installation worked.

It seems I have to give up now - at least for the time being.

Anyway thank you very much for the great effort of yours; I appreciate it very much.

Regards

Rosika

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello xilolee,

nice to hear from you again.

Alas the solution to my problem isn´t  as simple as that.

I disenabled all my security (firewall and antivirus) in the beginning. It had no effect whatsoever.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Greetings

Rosika

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------post-9557-0-11197700-1392388887_thumb.jpg

Hi Rosika,

There must be some sort of corruption at play here so you could try to run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to try and fix any errors (if present). However if the results yield a bunch of errors, would you consider doing a repair install at this point? If so, please have a look at these tutorials and read them carefully before making any decision.However, I feel confident that one or both of the suggestions below will open the door for you to successfully install your Java again and get it working properly:

Windows 7: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

BTW, thank you for being so thorough and detailed with your responses to our suggestions. In fact, you are the first member (I've encountered) to do so and it is quite refreshing to work with someone like you. Also, it is nice to be appreciated so thank you for that too! Good luck with your decisions going forward.

Best regards,

UCanFixit

Hi UCanFixIt,

Thank you very  much for your kind reply.

It´s always nice to deal with a nice person over the web. One should always bear in mind that there is another human being at the other end and not a machine. So for me it´s a matter of course

to be as polite as possible. I was delighted to receive some personal notes from you.

Now to my technical problem:

I ran sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt as you suggested. However no errors could be found (see attached file).

If I understand you correctly that would mean that the system is ok and there´s no corruption.

Now I´m at my wit´s end.

What really bugs me is the fact that java setup says that java is already installed whereas in fact it is not.

Nevertheless thanks very much again for all your effort and have a nice weekend.

Kind regards

Rosika

post-9557-0-65286000-1392472242_thumb.jpg

In addition to all the advice so far given, you need 32 bit & 64 bit java.

Here is a link where you can get both at File Hippo:

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=java

Like said before, uninstall all previous versions first like ucanfixit said.

Screenshot_15.png

Then make sure older javas are gone:

Screenshot_16.png

I hope this helps. :)

If I understand you correctly that would mean that the system is ok and there´s no corruption.

Hi again Rosika,

Yes, no errors found is a promising sign; however, your (unknown) issue might still require a Win 7 reinstall unless your specific issue can be identified and repaired. With that said, let's recap your issue to make sure we are both on the same page:

You have Java installed but it is not working and it cannot be verified as such by the Oracle Java verification process. The failure indicates the problem may lie within 3 distinct areas:

The browser plug in itself

The Java Control Panel

The security settings of the browser being used

Now, I am going to assume that the plug-in is OK at this point.

I'm also going to assume that the Java Control Panel is set to default values. If not, go to Control Panel> Java Icon and make sure its set to default values.

The security settings of the browser being used: I really think this is now the place to focus your attention. Unfortunately, I don't know which browser you are using so I can't compare appes-to-apples at this time but here's the default settings for IE11:

Screenshot_899.png

So, which browser are you using and what are your current security setting? You might also provide a screenshot of your privacy settings as well because maybe your privacy and security setting are too strict and that may be causing your issue. Also, could you try resetting your current browser to default values? And if nothing suggested so far works, could you please try a different browser and see if you get the same results?

Let us know.

UCanFixit

UPDATE: I just went over the entire post and realized you are at a point where you cannot get the new Java installed after successfully uninstalling the old; correct? If so, please try and translate those two image (that show the latest installation failure) into English because we can't translate text that appears on images.

Hi UCanFixIt,

Thanks for yor reply.

You are correct. Unless I manage to remove the old version I cannot install Java.

I used JavaRa as an uninstaller and it seemed to work just fine. On the other side the Java installer "finds" an already installed version of Java.

When trying to install the 32bit version the following messages appear:

[ translated into English]:

1.) THIS SOFTWARE IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT AGAIN?

When clicking on YES the following message appears:

2.) WINDOWS INSTALLER: THIS ACTION CAN ONLY BE EXECUTED FOR PRODUCTS THAT ARE ALREADY INSTALLED.

(originals in attached file).

Greetings

Rosikapost-9557-0-09442000-1392479108_thumb.jpg

Thanks for those translations. Please try these next:

Microsoft Fixit Program:
Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

If the above doesn't work, download and run Wise Registry Cleaner (portable is OK to use):
Wise Cleaner Downloads
Note: Delete any entries found that are relevant to Java and Oracle or just delete all recommended entries (registry can be restored if necessary).

Please tell us which browser you are using and what version as well.

Good luck and let us know.

UCanFixit

One more thing... I just want to make sure you are rebooting after doing the requested steps to make sure the Temp directory is cleared out; however, that's also a good place to check for pending functions that are Java related and that process might be stuck for some reason:

Java_activity.jpg

You can also download "Autoruns" to check for invalid startup entries and delete anything that is Java-related:

AutoRuns for Windows

autoruns.png

An finally, you could also check for any Java related processes that are still running; however, Autoruns (if used) should have taken care of that already:

task_manager.jpg

Please note that all of my views are from Windows 8.1... I'm trying to come up with as many ideas as possible because this should be fixable!

UCanFixit

Hello UCanFixIt,

thanks again for your great effort you are putting into this matter.

I did all the things you suggested.

First of all I ran MicrosoftFixIt. Obviously it found something to fix although there was no entry of JAVA, SUN or ORACLE. Therefore I switched to PROGRAMMES THAT ARE NOT LISTED.

As I said the programme did its best to fix matters (see attached file for results). Alas this couldn´t fix my original problem.

Then I ran WISE REGISTRY CLEANER which worked all right. But again no possibility of installing java.

Now I tried AutoRuns. That one couldn´t find any entries for JAVA, ORACLE or SUN.

It really seems that nothing Java-related is installed on my system.

BTW: I rebooted my computer as you recommended.

Installed browsers are as follows:

1.) firefox: 27.0.1 (32bit)

2.) Google Chrome: Version 32.0.1700.107 m (32bit)

3.) IE 11: Version 11.0.9600.16518 (64bit)

4.) Opera: Version 19.0.1326.63 (32bit)

On a personal note I already feel quite bad for taking up all the time of yours. I appreciate it very much that you put such effort into trying to solve my problem.

Now that we´ve done everything humanly possible I´m almost sure that there´s no simple way to install java again. Why on earth the system thinks java already is installed is really

beyond me. All FIX/ANALYSIS programmes indicate that no java remnants are left.

Anyway thank you again for your dedicated help.

Have a nice weekend.

Yours sincerely

Rosika

P.S.:

I also included a screenshot of my TEMP-folderpost-9557-0-77692800-1392562858_thumb.pngpost-9557-0-03325400-1392562919_thumb.jpg

Hi again Rosika,

Thank you for doing everything I suggested and reporting back in such detail. However, I do have one last question for you:

Is there any chance you have installed a third-party software application that comes bundled with its own Java installer (not Oracle's installer)?

If so, this would explain why the Oracle Java installation can not complete and why the uninstallers (you tried) cannot detect and uninstall that version of Java (because its bundled with some other software). The Oracle Java uninstaller clearly identifies that as a possibility when it encounters a situation such as yours. Please go here to read more on this subject and about half way down the page you can attempt to invoke the Java applet uninstaller (if you have not already done so): Oracle JAVA Uninstaller Tool
 java_uninstaller.jpg

Let us know if this turns on any lights for you. However, if not, would you consider doing a repair or clean install? If so, could you please provide the make/model of your laptop or desktop. This is very important information as this helps to determine what options are available. In fact, you might even be able to do a factory reset. Hmm... I wonder if the manufacturer provided some form of bundled bloatware.

Hi UCanFixIt,

thanks again.

Is there any chance you have installed a third-party software application that comes bundled with its own Java installer (not Oracle's installer)?

Not to my knowledge. Certainly there´s no possibility to find out, I guess.

I could perform a HIJACK THIS-scan and send you the report. Would that be of any help?

The ORACLE JAVA UNINSTALLER TOOL could not find anything about Java, as you suggested.

would you consider doing a repair or clean install?

What exactly is that?

Whatever I do I really don´t want to install my WIN7 anew. I´d rather let Java go :( .

My system is a laptop: Medion Akoya E6222

Greetings

Rosika

Hi again Rosika,

Your questions and my responses follow:

What exactly is that?

See here for more information:

Windows 7: Repair Install

Windows 7: Clean Install

Whatever I do I really don´t want to install my WIN7 anew. I´d rather let Java go

Then the repair or clean install are not a solution that you would attempt.

I could perform a HIJACK THIS-scan and send you the report. Would that be of any help?

I'm not sure if it would help or not at this point; however, if there is any chance you have been infected with malware, I would strongly recommend you go here for guided assistance as they utilize a few different programs that are superior to "hijack this" IMHO:

Am I infected? What do I do?

In summary, I hate to say it but I'm out of ideas on this one. Sorry I couldn't help you. Good luck going forward.

UCanFixit

Hello UCanFixIt,

sorry that it took quite a while to respond to your latest posting but I wanted to try another thing so that I could tell a little more.

First of all I restored the registry which was saved by WISE REGISTRY CLEANER. Thus I hoped that JavaRa could find something to deinstall. And I was right. It found quite a lot of

registry-related entries. And also, it worked. It was able to delete all of them.

Now I tried to install the latest Java version. But believe it or not, once more the system said Java was already installed...

The same problems as always.

But now one thing occurred to me. When tying to install the 64bit-version the error message mentioned an installer package by the name of [jre 1.7.0_21.msi] (see

attached file).

The latest version however is [jre 1.7.0__51.msi].

So I did some research and found the site www.oldapps.com.

There I found the above mentioned version [update 21] which is an older version of course.

This time I MANAGED to install it. I also verified the successful installation by running jrview, a programme that lists all installed Java versions (see second screenshot).

However I believe that this is the 32bit version, which doesn´t  matter as I have 32bit-browsers installed (opera, chrome, firefox).

Alas my original problem couldn´t  be solved at all.

When visiting the site www.hackgreensdr.org:8901 it once again says that Java doesn´t  seem to be installed or enabled on my computer.

Chrome says that Java is out of date and therefore was blocked. Trying to get the newer version (an option provided by chrome) failed - as always (attached files 3 and 4).

To sum up, the installed (old) java version cannot be executed and the newer version cannot be installed.

But anyway thank you very very much for all the effort of yours.

Greetings

Rosika

post-9557-0-60584300-1392729046_thumb.jpgpost-9557-0-56207800-1392729087_thumb.jpgpost-9557-0-72597200-1392729113_thumb.jpgpost-9557-0-44383600-1392729144_thumb.jpg

Hello Xilolee,

thanks for your input.

The above mentioned sites says "yes". I already thought of the possibility of javascript being disabled.

As a matter of fact I´ve got Noscript installed on my firefox. But of course I can disable any scriptblocking for any site. So that´s  not an obstacle here.

It all depends on the possibility to allow java-applets to be executed.

As I understand the whole thing it should be a matter of browser-related obstacles.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Kind regards

Rosika

Hello Xilolee,

Java content is allowed in my browsers.

I´m not using any VPN tunnelling processes.

My browsers are :

1.) firefox: 27.0.1 (32bit)

2.) Google Chrome: Version 32.0.1700.107 m (32bit)

3.) IE 11: Version 11.0.9600.16518 (64bit)

4.) Opera: Version 19.0.1326.63 (32bit)

BTW: I dont´t know why, but there doesn´t  seem to be any Java contol panel to be installed. I thought that this would be some sort of default application.

However:

I managed  to get my radio pages running.

I have VMWare player installed on my laptop (workstation 9.0 virtual machine). There I´ve got Linux Ubuntu 12.10 installed.

I thought to myself: Why not give it a try. Perhaps this will help.

At first however it didn´t work either. Again the message pointing out that java/java-plugin isn´t installed.

The next step was to get the required plugin. I learned that in linux-world the correct name was "IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.3.2 (1.3.2-1 ubuntu 0.12.10.2)".

After having installed that one - believe it or not - Java was enabled and waterfall and sound were produced quite adequately.

Of course that´s  a solution that I´d call second choice because it would be more convenient to open a browser whithout having to make a detour by using a virtual machine

but, what really counts, at least there IS a way to get the whole thing going.

I´d like to thank very much you, Xilolee, UCanFixit and last but not least David Bailey for taking time, much time, and putting such great effort into helping me to solme my problem.

Have a good time and I wish you success with all your acitivity.

Also, have a nice weekend.

Yours sincerely

Rosika