Blue Screen of Death - Bad Pool Caller

Anyone have some good steps/methods to address the inconsistent appearance of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with the Bad Pool Caller error.  It appears the Bad Pool Caller error can have multiple root causes.  I've been using the Wise products for the last two weeks and the instances of BSOD Bad Pool Caller have been reduced but not eliminated.  If someone has attacked this error before I'd be interested in the steps they took to identify the root cause.  Using the Wise products is a good 'shotgun' approach but it appears I still have a few remaining issues that it can't address.

Thanks for any insight !!

Hi kjhume,

Was there an error code associated with those errors? If so, is it always the same error code or does it vary? In any event, could you please provide the error codes if available. Now, back to the shotgun approach. I use that myself from time to time and the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "bad pool caller", I think of memory (ram) hardware issues. The reason for my association is that I worked the Crucial forums for many moons and the Bad Pool Caller came up quite often there. Now, please understand we are talking shotgun here so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, since you did not provide any system specs, I can't outline a (shotgun) memory troubleshooting procedure for you but if you have more than 1 stick of RAM, you can try removing all but 1 stick and see if that fixes your issue. If not, rotate the remaining sticks through one at a time until you find the intermittently defective hardware. Talk about shotgun! Now, if you would like to get more technical, it will require you to feed much information back for analysis. So, its your choice. Shotgun it or start providing the missing information I have just identified and requested.

Good luck with your decision and your problem.

UCanFixit

• 3 months later...

Ok, I'm now back and ready to END the BSOD problem.  I have been working on this issue for several months off/on and while I have made progress ruling out issues; in the end BSOD remains and in fact, appears to becoming more frequent.  In my most recent attempts to resolve I threw up my hands and took the machine to a local computer shop to be evaluated for BSOD.  Below is a summary of the assessment -

1.  Not a single BSOD event while in the shop over 3 days.  The machine was connected to the internet with the wireless keyboard / mouse we use with the computer here at home.

2.  Their evaluation of the mini dump and WER file was inconclusive....they told me the error code pointed to a 'bad driver' but the information was not specific enough to identify WHICH driver was bad.

3.  They evaluated all hardware/software (drives, memory, drivers, etc. ) and found no conflicts and no drivers/software to update

4.  They left the machine running over night under some type of load test that including being hooked up to the internet with multiple sessions running.

5.  All this was done and in the end NO BSOD while in the shop.  They returned the machine to me and within 24 hours I had two more BSODs.

6.  I have attached the most recent two BSOD event log files for your review/assessment.

7.  So it now appears that SOMETHING in my local network is triggering a BSOD....on one hand this seems very simple as their is really not much this machine is connected to.....on the other hand, I have NO CLUE what could be triggering this.  If there is something funky in the local network I would have expected BSOD to be triggered on the other machines....but that is not happening.....have no other BSOD instance on other machines on the network.

8.  This machine communicates to the internet through a Netgear WNDR 3800 modem/router....which has the most recent firmare installed.  From this router the internet will pass through two D-Link switches before connecting to this machine.  The only other device sharing a switch connection with this machine is a Vonage box that runs the home phone.  To be clear, the machine is sharing one of the switch connections.  The machine is NOT connected through the Vonage box.

9.  I have disconnected the Vonage box on several occasions and still triggered BSOD on the machine.

10.  I am open to ANY suggestions you can provide with this additional detail.  We have a real mystery on our hands!

11.  Evidently this forum will not allow me to attach the '.dmp' files....appears I also can't read them.  I think these are the files you need the Windows 'tool' to read?  If you want to see the .dmp files how can I share them?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kevin

WER-326510-0.sysdata.xml

WER-1128448-0.sysdata.xml

BSOD details-v.2.doc

Hi kevin.
You can zip the .dmp files and attach them here or you can load them through an "upload website".
Doing some quick research, it seems that you could have an incompatible software (antivirus/firewall).
It could be useful if you post at least basic informations, like: which Windows version (including bit-version, and if it is home, pro, and so forth - found Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition), which firewall/antivirus/antispyware/antimalware(etc) you are using, and so forth.

Ok - a few updates per the last response -

1.  The mini dump files are zipped and now attached (thank for that tip!).  I can't do anything with these files.  The PC repair shop I took the machine to said there was no useful information in the files that points to a specific device with a bad driver. 

What, if anything, can I learn from these files?

2.  OS details - Win7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 - 64 bit, i5CPU, 8GB Ram,

3. Virus/Firewall is BitDenfender, latest version

4.  I have now fixed the IP address of this PC in an attempt to rule out any issue related to an IP address conflict with the Vonage box that hangs off the same network switch with this computer.  For the first 2 days I had no further BSOD. 

5.  On the third day, BSOD resumed.  It appears to be some different descriptions but the BSOD msg goes by too fast or I'm not at the PC when the BSOD occurs.

Would appreciate any further insight as I'm lost in the woods!

Thanks !!

050414-16005-01.zip

Hi kevin.

Please note that I'm not an expert, but, to me, it seems that the problem is caused by BitDefender (vsserv.exe, bdparentalservice.exe).

Try to uninstall bitdefender and use ms essentials, for the moment, and see if you get other bsods.

If you identify the problem in bitdefender, my suggestion is to go to their forum(s) and ask for help or for a solution...Or contact them by email.

Especially if you have got the paid version of it!

This topic shows your same errors: forum.bitdefender.com - %5Bescalated%5D Bsod With Vsserv.exe

You can try first the solutions in it, if you prefer.