[Solved - Win7] error 1500 another installation is in progress

"Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one" in windows 7. I interupped a patch install and now can't install new software. I found a temp fix by running services.msc and disableing windows installer services - rebooting- and resetting back to manual. This allowed me to install one time. Then goes back to old error 1500. Need an antomatic fix

Operating system:Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 1

System root: C:\Windows

Available physical memory: 8142 MB

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Drive Info:

C: 931.41 GB

Internet Explorer: 10.0

Tried the clean startup but did not isolate the service or problem. I also ran the MS Fixit program again but no luck. Cannot install quicktime. It has something to do with the windows installer being interrupted and leaving something set I think. May have to edit the registry but don't know where yet. Earlier I had tried to install a patch to Playon but got a message that I had to install the whole program. I somehow interrupted the patch process and must have left it hanging. I could not run the new install or uninstall the old version. I ran MS Fixit and it did some registry fixes and say it uninstalled Playon. I looked at the installed programs and Playon was not listed, but it still ran. At this point I ran services.msc and changed windows installer to disable and restarted. I then ran services.msc again and put windows installer to manual as it was before and was able to install the new Playon with no problem. Then I tried to install quicktime and the error message came back. something is screwed up in the registry I think. I am stuck.

Try:

1) Open an elevated command prompt (started as an administrator)

Inside the black screen type cleanmgr /sageset:65535 (press enter)

Tick every option that appear and click ok

Inside the black screen type cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 (press enter)

Wait until it finishes and re-try.

2) control panel, troubleshoot computer problems, system and security, fix problems with windows update

3) Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled (click)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried most if not all with no success. I believe I will need to edit the registry to remove the flag which is confusing windows installer but I don't know how. Here is a workaround that allow me to install one program. I have to do the workaround every time I install a new program. Run services.msc using Start-Run. Find the service named Windows Installer and right click properties and set from manual to disable. Click apply and ok, and restart the computer. Once the computer restarts reverse the process by running services.msc and change Windows Installer back to manual. You can now install one program. This makes no sense but it works. I just wish Microsoft could make a tool that average people like me could use. I only have a Masters in computer science from GA Tech. Thanks again for all your help. I may have to reload windows at some point.

The above link was where I found the work around but not the complete fix, but I believe I fixed the problem yea! I used REVO uninstaller program and went back to the original program that I suspected was interrupted during a patch. I used the REVO program and scanned after the normal uninstall gave me the standard error message. Revo first tries the normal uninstall and then scans the registry. I selected all that REVO found and (keeping my fingers crossed - required) hit delete. I then noticed a second install on the list of the same program. I repeated the process for the second instance and restarted Windows. I have now installed 3 new programs with no problems or error messages. Thanks for all suggestions.  

The program I interrupted was Playon (a streaming server program).  Revo Uninstaller Pro was the program that solved the hang up problem by uninstalling Playon. I would recommend Revo Uninstaller for this type of problem since it solved my issue. I hope this topic can be closed and the problem never happens again since it was a royal pain. Thanks to all for help. Bert