Startup Manager

Wiseuser

Hey:

In startup manager it lists all the programs and makes suggestions such as keep, delete, or disable.

I get a bit confused like with the word "keep". Should I interpret keep to mean keep it the way it is set by Wise Care 365 [WC] or should I follow my Windows Services [WS] recommendations? If  WS tells me to keep it going, but WC has that device greyed out and disabled, which one should I choose or follow?

It seems WC has a lot of services in the OFF/Disabled position, when WS tells me they should be running? So kind of confused here, if WC could decipher this or anyone else it would be helpful.

Thanks, Wiseuser.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Wiseuser, your posting prompted me to check the recommendations for my computer (Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit) which I found in System Configuration.  I did not know about this until I read your posting. On the General tab I chose Normal Startup which loads all device drivers and services.

The Service tab shows me which programs are running or stopped. I had quite a few that show stopped but are not causing me any problems. The instructions on my computer's Help and Support page have a Note saying "System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems but is not meant as a startup management program". 

The Index of Help on WC says that Keep means to keep the currant status of the program but I played around a bit in there and am sure that I turned some programs on or off then could not remember what the Keep status was for these programs.

This morning I clicked on the Records Tab in Startup Manager which shows items that are disabled but it says "we can easily enable the falsely disabled start ups".  I found this to be very helpful as they are probably the Keep startup programs that I disabled in error so I clicked on Enable (or Restore) in order to turn them back on. Great, now my falsely disabled start ups are enabled.

As per WC's suggestion I Enabled and Disabled programs as per their instructions including the Keep ones as I trust their judgement.

I notice that they also have a good safety feature where we are not able to disable what they have maked as Must Be Enabled.

I have so much to learn but the more I use Wisecleaner the more I realize that it's great and what I was looking for in a cleaner.

Hey thanks for responding. I am using the free version, not sure if it matters to the original question? But which programs should be on at startup, off, auto, manual, etc. is a bit confusing to me whether Windows or Wisecleaner. The idea for me is allowing for quicker startups, by eliminating the programs that are not needed on startup or that run in the background.

Wisecleaner suggests Windows Backup being disabled. Not sure why this would be disabled? As it is probably the one feature you would want running all the time. I must be missing something here? Or Volume Shadow Copy, another backup service, Wisecleaner suggests disabling this service also?

Again I must be missing the point, whatever the point is? When you put your percurser on the service description it tells you if you disable the service, the other services that depend on the service you are disabling will not work or function correctly. So that sounds like a contradiction, to suggest disabling the service, when it should be enabled.

Maybe it means the service is disabled on startup, but starts automatically when the scheduled backup is scheduled to run? That's what I don't follow? I don't think I would want to "keep" the backup settings disabled. If it says the backup service is disabled just at startup, but it runs on its scheduled scan date, then that sounds good to me. But it just says "disable", and that means what it says..."disabled".

But the cleaner works pretty good.

wiseuser

Hello, the more I search and read the more confused I am also. I find it a challenge in my old age but it depleted the dopamine level  in my brain. Am not sure either if the free version matters to your original question.

I have read many blogs where some say to disable a certain program then someone else will reply not too. Yes, confusing for sure.

Guess it's a matter of trial and error as in my System Configuration the instructions say "to identify the startup item that is causing a problem to Disable all then select the check box for the first service that is listed then restart the computer and if the problem doesn't reoccur then to eliminate this service as the cause of the problem" then to repeat this for every service. Doing this one by one is very time consuming so I will not do this and follow with WiseCleaner's  suggestions.

You are right in saying that eliminating programs that are not needed at start up will allow quicker startups as too many programs can decrease the performance of our computers. Again, I'm confused at which ones are safe to eliminate.

In my system configuration it does say that selecting Disable All won't disable some secure Microsoft services required for the operating system to start so I find this to be a consolation and presume that this is why in WC they list the programs that cannot be disabled which I find  a good safe feature as we can't disable them. As I said earlier I trust their judgement.

I have not looked into it but would say that you are right in saying that it means the service is disabled on startup but the service will run when you need it. Personally, I don't schedule backups as I would rather do them myself. The service is disabled in Startup but I did some backups on my external drive and they show in Backup and Restore on my computer that they have been done.

As for Volume Shadow Copy, well, long story, I can't make restore points as I have a file missing and I don't want to make another Factory Restore as I have done two already. Kind of the same principle that I can make a System Image on my external drive. I did one a couple of weeks ago and it was like making a restore. This file that is missing is not caused by WiseCleaner.

I read somewhere that if you are not sure on what you are doing it is better not to disable any startup programs but as I say, I will follow Wise Cleaner's suggestions as they know better than me.

In my Startup tab on WC I only have my antivirus program listed.

Am not sure what the Records Tab is for (pro version only)  but nothing is showing in it.

All in all, I feel very safe using WiseCleaner and have found their support to be very helpful the few times I contacted them.