Common Cleaner: Items of a not installed browser.

FAM10

Hello,

I would like to comment a possible issue to improve.

I don´t have Google Chrome but items related to it are present in the Common Cleaner.

I think that WDC is detecting some registry keys related to Chrome but I investigated that they are by default in last versions of Windows 10, but they aren´t related to an installed Google Chrome browser:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3181948475-125578601-1010058708-1001\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore

These keys are part of the OS and I guess WDC is associating them to the Chrome browser.

Most of those keys are protected by the system and firstly you can´t delete. But for testing, I tried with a software for deleting blocked registry keys ('registry_deleteex_portable'). I deleted them and WDC didn´t show the Chrome items. 

(In addition, I used Opera browser and Common Cleaner showed the Opera items. I uninstalled the Opera browser, deleted the registry remnants and then WDC didn´t show the associated items anymore).

Conclusion: without those mentioned Google keys in the Windows Registry, WDC/Common Cleaner doesn´t detect the Chrome as installed, so the Common Cleaner doesn´t show the items related to Chrome. If that is the explanation, so WDC should detect more specific keys of a real installed Chrome to avoid showing a false browser items to clean.

Regards,

Captura de pantalla (56)_LI.jpg

20 hours ago, wisecleaner_admin said:

Hello,

Wise Disk Cleaner determine if the user has installed chrome based on the following locations:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome

Hello,

I dont´t have any of these elements (folder and keys). The only Chrome related elements (only keys) that I have in my system are the mentioned ones in the first post.

Hello,

Actually, you have 2 registry entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore   =  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.microsoft.browsercore   =  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google Chrom

It is the most usual way to determine a browser status by checking the specific registry entry and folder, although it is not the most exactly. 

We will try to improve it.