computer slows down after awhile of usage

When I use the browser (Internet Explorer or Chrome) for a while such as watching a movie online, the computer is slow to respond afterwards. The browser will not close immediately, it will take about 10 seconds to do so. Then when trying to open an application after having used the browser for awhile, likewise it will hang for several seconds.

I'm not sure if it's memory leakage, the graph in the window's task manager in the performance tab seems to respond with a sharp dip when I stop watching the movie, although the memory steadily rises during the movie and does not seem to level off.

The computer is an emachine, windows 7, AMD Athlon II x2 220 Processor 2.8 GHz, 1.75GB usable RAM, 64-bit Operating System. Could it be the MOBO ?

Operating system:Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 1

System root: C:\Windows

Available physical memory: 1791 MB

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor

Drive Info:

C: 447.66 GB

Internet Explorer: 10.0

Lame Internet Surfing option in 1stAid suggested I disable the extensions. With IE I only have one extension: McAfee Site Advisor, which I need for security purposes. I did however, disable a few extensions on Chrome. I couldn't enable Ad Block using Setting because it didn't have that option, but I was able to download it via Chrome Store.

Intuition tells me it may be more involved than just stopping extensions and ads. Could there be anything else causing the slowdown?

After using browser or running other programs for a while, system did not release memory which were being used when ended the process, so it’s normal for the slow response of other programs, you even need to wait for a while. 
1, This situation has something to do with the hardware configuration of the PC, the CPU of your PC is low-end processor with bad performance. Upgrade your memory to 4 GB may deal with your issue. 
2, You can also run Wise memory optimizer to realize live optimization and release more memory for you. 
3, Run Wise Care 365----System Tuneup----Startup manager, set OFF useless startup programs and services.
4, To use an anti-virus software which occupy less resource, like Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have, as suggested, started using the WiseCare Memory Optimizer.  And you are right, I needed more memory, so consequently have upgraded to a new computer, one with 8Gb of RAM and as a bonus a faster i5 quad core processor.  All in all, everything is solved - no more slow computer.  I'm even thinking about going ahead with replacing my boot drive with a 120Gb solid state drive that was also purchased recently.  Both items were on sale:  $429 (savings of $220) and $97 (about  $20 savings) respectfully.  Thank you for making me eventually realize that I needed a better computer.