How do I know what registry items will be removed or have been removed

jgt1942

I'm using WC 365 v3.6.3 and would like to know what registry items will be removed or have been removed. I'm running on a Win 8.1 x64 system and have an issue with the recent document items disappearing in my MS Office 2013 applications. At this time I'm not sure what application is at fault and I've had the issue for several months thus attempting a restore will not resolve my issue. However I'd like to see what items will be deleted or have been deleted.  Following is a description of the keys that are being changed. 

The Recent Documents lists are held in the registry in keys under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\User MRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\User MRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PowerPoint\User MRU

In each of those keys you'll find a subkey named "LiveId_" followed by a long string of hex characters and, under that, a subkey named File MRU. Within that last subkey, the values hold the file paths of the recent documents.

Under the key HKEY_USERS there's a key named "S-1-5-21-" followed by another long string of hex characters, which contains all of the same information as the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section. (There may be more than one of these, one for each user identity on the computer.) This HKEY_USERS data is copied to HKEY_CURRENT_USER when you log in, and changes in one section are reflected in the other.

If you want to know what registry items has been removed by wise care 365, you can open a folder, enter %appdata%\Wise Care 365\Backup in address bar, you will see the registry backup files, wise care 365 will backup the removed registry items automatically.

Do you want to clean the MS office 2013 recent document items, or not?

NO - I DO NOT want to clean the MS office 2013 recent document items. I attempted to find a setting in WC365 but was not successful. I'm at a loss as to why anybody would want to clean this setting. My main usage of this setting is to pin important documents at the top of the list.

If I go into the WC settings I see that I can exclude a registry key but I'm not sure what to enter for the keyword.

BTW is WC cleaning my "Run" list (Start > Run)? If so how do I disable this cleaning?

When I enter "%appdata%\Wise Care 365\Backup" in address bar I do see a list of REG backup files but I'm not able to see what was actually removed. If I just double-click on one of the files Win 8.1 will add the items to my registry. If I open the file with my text editor (I use TextPad or Kedit) I see the hex values.

I see that when WC creates a backup it included the date in the filename in the Europe format (S4 2015-18-04 034428.reg). Can I change this to the US format (S4 2015-0418 034428.reg)?

You don't want clean recent items (see screenshot 1), right?

recent.png

If yes, I would say wise care 365 don't clean this area. (my OS is Win 7 x64, MS office 2013, I will test it in Win 8.1 again.)

Please verify again. 

If you want to add it in exclusion list, enter this: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\  (view scheenshot 2)

exclusion.png

If you don't want to clean recent Run items, deselect following item:

run.png    runitem.png

About the backup name, sorry, you cannot change it, else wise care 365 will not recognize it.