Rosika

SecuBrowser opinions

Hello everybody,

I´ve  got a question about the programme "SecuBrowser".

I very much like to run my browser (firefox) sandboxed for security reasons. I am currently using firefox 33.0 beta.

Up and until now I was very fond of "sandboxie" but I always encountered some problems. The thing is it freezes in irregular intervals.

I also have to say that I´ve  installed numerous add-ons to make browsing more comfortable and more secure. Therefore it´s  possible that one or

more of those add-ons may interact with "sandboxie" unfavourably so that they produce that freezing-effect. Nothing remains to be done as to shut down

firefox altogether and then start it anew. However this gets more and more annoying.

Then I learned that there´s  an alternative. "Secubrowser" claims to do more or less the same. However it is restricted to the browsers firefox and IE.

( http://www.secubrowser.com/ )

I read some reviews concerning this programme and all of them were more or less in favour of it. Yet ONE opinion ( Ashraf of Dot Tech) pointed out that it wasn´t  good

at all:

"[...] all files (including temporary files) generated by that browser session are saved in a C:/sbox/[user name] folder on your hard drive. The idea here is if you come across a malware infested website while surfing the web, the malware will be downloaded to the C:/sbox/[user name] folder and you can easily get rid of the malware by deleting that folder. [...]

if you ever happen to be infected with a drive-by attack on a website, all SecuBrowser will do is ensure all malware related files are downloaded to C:/sbox/[user name] — it won’t actually stop the malware from executing and accessing other parts of your system, nor can it stop a virus from replicating to other files in your system. In other words, it isn’t really a sandbox."

(source: http://dottech.org/103685/windows-review-secubrowser/ )

So has anyone an opinion about this? Is Ashraf right in pointing out that "secubrowser" won´t  stop malware from getting active despite the fact that it is situated

within the restricted  sandbox-area?

That would really be a shame as this programme is easy to use. Yet I want to be on the safe side.

Any views and opinions are welcome.

Greetings

Rosika

Hello Rosika,

A good security configuration should pass all 5 of these tests:

http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

For the record, I use Avast Free... and that is all I need because I have never been infected. BTW, it does pass all of the above tests and it is the only free AV solution that can make that claim!

UCanFixit

Hi UCanFixIt,

thank you very much for your comments.

I used to use Avast Free too and was very satisfied with its protection. A few months ago I actually won a one year´s  license of Norman Security 10 which I am using right now  :) .

After that I am surely going to revert to Avast Free.

Thanks also for your link.  It semes very interesting.

Nevertheless I´d  very much like to run my browser sandboxed. Therefore I was interested in anyone´s  opinion about "secubrowser".

Thanks again.

Greetings

Rosika

Hello again Rosika,

The point I was trying to make is that your total protection scheme is what really counts and you can judge that effectiveness by testing as recommended. So, do the tests with Norman and your new sandboxed security browser. Now, if that configuration passes all 5 tests, then you should be good to go; however, if it fails any one of those tests, then you are not fully protected. Also, if I told you that browser was great, would you take my word for it? BTW, you will always hear both pro and con statements about any software so protect yourself and do the tests.

UCanFixit

Hi UCanFixIt,

thanks for your comments.

I really appreciate yor concern for my security. :)

I am going to do all the tests in order to assess my security level. I wasn´t  really going to abandon my AV and firewall just because of sandbox-usage.

The thing is I want to be as secure as possible (who doesn´t) and my thought was an additional measure taken could improve my security status.

you will always hear both pro and con statements about any software

O.k. there you are completely right. One should always take anybody´s  comments with a grain of salt.

Thanks again for your views.

Have a nice day.

Rosika

Hello Rosika,

A good security configuration should pass all 5 of these tests:

http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

For the record, I use Avast Free... and that is all I need because I have never been infected. BTW, it does pass all of the above tests and it is the only free AV solution that can make that claim!

UCanFixit

Nice link... :)   LIKE IT :D

MSE did not pass! :angry:  Time for other AV!!!

TNX Fixi

Made s :ph34r: me testing...    with the help of  http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

AVG Free                      pass 5 / 5  ->  Browsing on internet was WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY  SL  -_-  W

BITDEFENDER Free     pass 5 / 5

AVIRA Free                   pass 4 / 5

AVETIX Free                  pass 3 / 5

MSE Free                      pass 2 / 5

Made s :ph34r: me testing...    with the help of  http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check.html

MSE                            pass 2 / 5

AVIRA Free                 pass 4 / 5

BITDEFENDER Free   pass 5 / 5

AVG Free                    pass 5 / 5  ->  (Browsing on internet was WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY SL -_- W)

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing. Nice work!