"sort by modification date default"

Until Windows 7, selecting "Sort by Modification Date" defaulted to ascending. Windows 7 changed the default to descending. I could not determine if there was a register entry to change the default back to ascending. Is there a way to do this?

Operating system:Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 1

System root: C:\Windows

Available physical memory: 3327 MB

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor

Drive Info:

C: 469.66 GB

D: 222.09 GB

E: 222.08 GB

Internet Explorer: 11.0

First, let me thank you for your response. However, I'm not sure where you are finding this "last modified column" in Windows 7 Home Premium. Even doing a google search for it (or going to MS Support pages), I cannot find any reference to a "last modified column". Unless you are referring to the "Details" list (when you click on "View" -> "Sort by" -> "More" or get to the same location via right-clicking on an empty spot in the Explorer window). Also, the Control Panel does not have "Appearance and Personalization" in this version of Windows 7 - only "Personalization" and it deals with desktop themes, which are not relevant to my question. I am also aware of the "Folder Options" and how that can be selected to apply to folders.

Please reread my post! Your solution as I ended up interpreting it does NOT change the Windows 7 default (which I would hope has a registry setting). Also, running certain registry cleaners and other system type utilities often reset those "Apply to folder" settings back to system defaults. In addition, your explanation seems to be making an assumption that all folders need to be set to the same "Sort by" setting. That is not always the case. One may want graphic files ordered by type - jpg. png, gif, etc. Another folder may preferred to be sorted by name.

The only reason why the default may have been changed was the developer/coder who changed it may have preferred his/her "latest" changed files to appear at the top when a folder is opened - which I can understand, but why change a long-used default and foist a specific preference onto others for no obvious reason. One thing that does change are the folders are now at the bottom of the list rather than the top when sorting by the NEW Windows 7 "sort by mod date" DEFAULT, "descending order". Since many users will have sub-folders, it is preferable to have them at the top when opening the containing folder. Prior to Windows 7, the default was "ascending order" when selecting "Sort by modification date".