CPU Core, Min/Max Error

tipstir

Hello tipstir,

I cannot account for why some programs recognize your CPU as having 4 cores and others recognize it as having only 2; however, I can tell you that your 4 core CPU is quite different than an Intel 4 core CPU because Intel CPUs have 4 true cores with dedicated resources for each core; whereas, your CPU has 2 modules (with 2 cores mounted on each module), and each module shares a variety of common resources. BTW, the Passmark rating system identifies your CPU as having 2 cores with 4 logical processors (similar to Intel hyper-threading). In summary, I don't think that Wise is unique in the way they are identifying your CPU but that is just my opinion.

Also, good luck with your speed discrepancy issue.

UCanFixit

Hello tipstir,

I cannot account for why some programs recognize your CPU as having 4 cores and others recognize it as having only 2; however, I can tell you that your 4 core CPU is quite different than an Intel 4 core CPU because Intel CPUs have 4 true cores with dedicated resources for each core; whereas, your CPU has 2 modules (with 2 cores mounted on each module), and each module shares a variety of common resources. BTW, the Passmark rating system identifies your CPU as having 2 cores with 4 logical processors (similar to Intel hyper-threading). In summary, I don't think that Wise is unique in the way they are identifying your CPU but that is just my opinion.

Also, good luck with your speed discrepancy issue.

UCanFixit

I've been during this since late 70's to  current. K6, Cyrix 6x86, 386, 486, Intel with processor speeds. But my question was reporting on the AMD-A8 is true 4 cores. But with all these SoC - CPU/GPU on chip there is where most software CPU analyzers get confused. 

AMD A8 Series Next Gen CPU with Turbo Boost Specs from AMD

CPU-Z Reports

Can't care compare Intel CPU with AMD they're not same company product. Intel calls there Next Gen Turbo Boost Tech. Both companies sport all sorts of GHz speeds. Rated 3.4GHz base but also ranges from 3.2GHz to 3.49 with the Turbo Boost. So the Range various.

Dual core and Quad core are not the same. My older AMD Phenom X4/X64 9850 2.5GHz Black Edition Southbridge just as fast on the AMD A8 Net Gen Turbo are. 

Anyway software CPU/GPU detection software should be able to see the CPU as 4 core if Windows does. Still why other software does it because they are programmed to support CPU features like Next Gen Turbo Cores. Everything that doesn't will just show CPU as Single or Dual Core. 

post-1495-0-40133400-1408968918_thumb.png

post-1495-0-56757000-1408968928_thumb.png

You are entitled to you opinion; however, your CPU is not a true 4 core CPU because it shares resources. For example, each of the two core pairs shares the same L2 cache. In summary, you do not have 4 true cores that work independently of each other; period! Moreover, that arrangement is no better than having 2 cores and 4 logical cores. Also, Windows is one of the few programs that recognizes your 4 (pseudo) core arrangement. And finally, your quad-core cpu benchmarks are about the same as a dual-core Intel cpu with hyper-threading. Check out the benchmarks. And, BTW, now I will tell you that Wise got it right! The one thing you did get right is that you can't compare AMD processoors with the Intel brand because they are not even in the same league. Good day to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well not my opinion it's the facts of the CPU is really labeled as APU handling both CPU and GPU on SoC. It's a 4 core, 2 compute,  and 4 threads, the issue is that Windows is seeing it as 2 core because it's not reading the 4 cores.

The APU in running 4 cores, 2 computes and 4 threads. Now I have two systems here using APU here. One is dual core and this one quad core. What I had found out is that dual core shows  2 cores  0 compute and 2 threads. So Windows and Wise is only picking up the 2 computes and not picking up the 4 cores, it's reading the 2 computes as the cores. As you know 4 integer cores so it is a quad core cpu. it has 2 core modules for computing,  it has 4 separate integer cores. But Windows is processor as 2 physical and 4 logical is for the purposes of thread dispatch to each core. When possible, it is more practical to dispatch threads to each module first, then to the separate cores on those modules, as there is less contention for shared resources.

APU was produce after Windows 7 was release so unless Microsoft WEI (Windows Experience Index) but with newer programs like CPU-Z and Speccy show the correct number of cores. Anyway hey good to learn why things don't show the correct cores. 

This ends this now.. 

Take care.. ;) 

The Bulldozzer design was AMD's attempt to go cheap on a quad-core CPU. You can buy your cpu and mobo combination for about $69.00 today at Microcenter. I am not impressed by your dissertation to convince me otherwise. Again you do have 4 physical cores; however, each pair shares common resources; therefore, the maximum capabilities of a true quad-core cpu can never be realized because of this sharing arrangement.