Downloading in IE: *.exe become *_exe

Greetings,

Whenever I try to download an executable file in IE 9, IE try's to rename it with a _exe. This does not happen in Firefox. It happens in Private mode. It does NOT happen in Safe Mode.

The file is fine if I rename it with .exe . The file is not corrupted. Also, this keeps my from runing things that should run inside IE.

I have downgraded IE to 8. I have re-upgraded it to 9. To 10 and back to 9 currently.

I have reset it to default settings. I have disabled all extensions/add ons. I have tried different security and privacy settings.

Any ideas/help would be great. TY

Operating system:Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) Service Pack 1

System root: C:\windows

Available physical memory: 2806 MB

CPU: Intel® Atom CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz

Drive Info:

C: 100.00 GB

D: 117.86 GB

Internet Explorer: 9.0

Yes,in private mode., it will surely rename the files downloaded. It is a default setting and we cannot change. We suggest you download files in safe mode.

While if you want to protect your privacy, you can set your IE to delete browsing history on exit.

post-3-0-96365200-1375951666_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks for the second reply:

I have the problem in or out of Private Mode. Deleting history isn't an issue.

In order to download files with out changing the file name requires a reboot into Safe Mode (not really a practical option) each time.

I would like a solution to problem. I already said I could reboot into Safe Mode to get it to work and, as I said, that really isn't a long term solution to the problem.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Please follow the instruction below to solve this problem. I will show you in IE 10, and IE 9 share the same path.

1.Please uncheck Internet Explorer 10  and click "ok" according to the screenshot.

post-3-0-06863400-1376040578_thumb.jpgP7]AHL8.jpg]

2. Restart your PC and check Internet Explorer 10 and click "ok"

post-3-0-44654700-1376040836_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks again for the response.

I have update to IE 10 and back to 9 a couple of times. The problem remains. In fact, in IE 10 there are more issue in that I can't adjust my History and cache settings. I end up with the issue that the cache is stuck at 8 megs and can't be adjusted. I have tried the registry fix to avail. However, if I go back to IE 9 that problem go away. However, the problem w/ download .exe files turning into _exe remains in 9 or 10.

Please continue to send Ideas! Thanks again.

Make sure you have down all steps follow me, it will reset Internet Explorer to default model.

1, Start---Control Panel----Programs, Uninstall a program----Turn Windows features on or off,

2, Find out Internet Explorer (10 or 9 or 8...), mark it  unchecked, like the following image 1, and then click OK. After this, you can not run Internet Explorer again. 

post-45-0-03179400-1376646188_thumb.png

3, Restart computer. Can you find the icon of Internet Explorer in start menu? The answer is NO.

Then click Start---Control Panel----Programs, Uninstall a program----Turn Windows features on or off,

Find out Internet Explorer (10 or 9 or 8...), mark it  checked

post-45-0-45999100-1376646739_thumb.png

Restart computer again.

Make sure you have down all steps follow me, it will reset Internet Explorer to default model.

1, Start---Control Panel----Programs, Uninstall a program----Turn Windows features on or off,

2, Find out Internet Explorer (10 or 9 or 8...), mark it  unchecked, like the following image 1, and then click OK. After this, you can not run Internet Explorer again. 

attachicon.gif1.png

3, Restart computer. Can you find the icon of Internet Explorer in start menu? The answer is NO.

Then click Start---Control Panel----Programs, Uninstall a program----Turn Windows features on or off,

Find out Internet Explorer (10 or 9 or 8...), mark it  checked

attachicon.gif2.png

Restart computer again.

Thank you for the reply.  I have tried this a few times with no help.

Any other ideas or help would be much appriciated. TY

Hi,

If back to default setting can not solve your problem, try to uninstall it.

1, Start---Control Panel----Programs----Uninstall a program----View installed updates, select Windows Internet Explorer 10, uninstall

post-45-0-98883100-1377078916_thumb.png

2, Restart system, check whether the IE 9 has the same problem. If IE 9 is all right, you can update to IE 10 or just using IE 9. If not, continue to step 3 

3, Try to turn off IE 9------restart system----turn on IE 9 again

4, If the step 3 still can not solve the problem, re-install your Windows 7 system. Or, do not use IE again, use Chrome/ Firefox or other browser.