Access denied error.

Problem. An access denied error is returned every time I (administrator) attempt to change a service.

After changing a service using msconfig the following message appears on the screen:

“An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes”

Operating system:Microsoft Windows XP (32 bit) Service Pack 3

System root: C:\WINDOWS

Available physical memory: 3451 MB

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Drive Info:

C: 298.09 GB

I: 279.47 GB

Internet Explorer: 8.0

1) Try to change the service status from services.msc (start, run, type services.msc, press enter).
2) What antivirus/firewall/antimalware/anti-everything are you using?
Norton could be the culprit: Error: "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."
3) Try the softwares listed in Free tools (Anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-virus) that you could use to inspect your computer.
4) If you have an HP printer software/service, check pchell.com - How to Fix Access Denied Error when Using MSCONFIG
Check also (near the end of the page): Using Microsoft System Configuration (Windows XP, Me, and 98) --- Error: Access Denied
5) Try to launch sfc /scannow from a command prompt (Windows xp cd could be necessary), it lasts 20-50 minutes, report the final result here.
6) Try To start the computer in safe mode
7) Try: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

Looking forward for your kind feedback.