Wise Folder Hider not totally secure

Billy

I system restored my computer and when I went to check my hidden files, I noticed that the password to access them had changed. For the life of me I could not guess it which was kinda frustrating seeing as I had hidden around 80 GBs of stuff. I was resolved not to pay the $10 password reset fee and I had given up when by chance I discovered a way to not only locate my files, but retrieve them WITHOUT the password. I figured it was a glitch and so I hid a few more files (less important ones) just to test out my method and it worked. It has worked without fail. Who do I notify about this? 

Hi Billy,

You've taken the first notification step by posting here. Next, I would expect someone from Wise to establish communications with you (from this thread) and provide you with a method to deliver the specific details related to the bug you found. Also, I thank you for not posting any specifics here. I am not a Wise employee but I expect someone from Wise to respond, given that you may have found a workaround to get at those hidden file.

Thanks for your concern,

UCanFixit

• 3 months later...

When I read this post it aroused my curiosity - could I find where the passwords were stored and if so would they be encrypted - the other motive  was concern about the security of the program and of course how safe were my hidden files !

Before I continue let me say I have no knowledge of programming or reverse engineering and do not consider myself to be a 'hacker' - but when I use a program which involves protecting personal data I check it out very carefully as most reasonably streetwise people would !

The first password to open the program and show a list of hidden files was easy to find - it was stored as a cypher (which I broke easily) and was very simple to reset.

The secondary passwords - to lock down individual files took a little more work but was done using another Wisecare product and were stored as plain-text.

My humble opinions  (and respectful suggestions);

1. This is a very nice and polished folder hiding program - it hides folders using a method better than any other program I have tested and is perfect to keep files away from casual nosey parkers.

2. If you are hiding a file which is VERY sensitive - then encrypt it first using a password you can NEVER forget.

3. Keep an encrypted backup of hidden files (maybe on a USB stick) using a password you can NEVER forget. (losing family photos is devastating  for most people!).

4. I understand Wisecares need to generate income and like to sell the $10 service package - but please don't provide a password retrieval service - when it comes to security there should be no 'back doors' - Hidden files should be automatically encrypted using something like AES 256 and the passwords should not be stored anywhere or be retrievable - Everybody in this day and age knows DON'T FORGET THE PASSWORD -  and if you do - don't blame the software of the company that provided it. (#2 above of course would not be needed if the 'back door' was bricked up and encryption implemented.

• 2 months later...

I system restored my computer and when I went to check my hidden files, I noticed that the password to access them had changed. For the life of me I could not guess it which was kinda frustrating seeing as I had hidden around 80 GBs of stuff. I was resolved not to pay the $10 password reset fee and I had given up when by chance I discovered a way to not only locate my files, but retrieve them WITHOUT the password. I figured it was a glitch and so I hid a few more files (less important ones) just to test out my method and it worked. It has worked without fail. Who do I notify about this? 

Hi there, 

We'd like to help you with the issue.

Since you did a system restore , please reinstall Wise Folder Hider to check out if it can help you out.

Thanks!