Wisecare365 - Disk Eraser - "Does not support this drive"

MGP

Hi,

One of my external hard drives is a Western Digital MyBook Essentials (WD1140) 3TB (2.72TB system capacity) USB drive. When I launch the Disk Eraser tool, the Status column displays a message saying "Does not support this drive."  It's a typical NTFS-formatted drive, not encrypted, etc.

I have other external hard drives connected, all of them ranging in size from 250MB to 2TB and Disk Eraser is able to see them and analyze them with no problem. What I'm wondering is, is there a size limitation to the tool?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (Service Pack 1) OS

WiseCare 365 ver 2.47.195 (GiveAwayoftheDay) registered

Note:  In attached pic, I've smudged out part of the drive names (the ones beginning with Mega)

post-22132-0-90191900-1389633949_thumb.jpg

Sorry, it was me that didn't double-check your message! :D

Although giveawayoftheday softwares imply "No free technical support", I think developers could be interested in your problem.

Please wait an answer from them (admin/developers).

(Yes, I'm only a poor and simple helper ;-p)

Just figured I'd provide a little more info that I've been playing with.  

The defrag utility in both Wisecare365 and DiskCleaner7 can see the drive and analyze it (not sure if they're the same version of defrag or not).

On DiskCleaner7, on the Advanced Cleaner tab, the drive letter doesn't even show up in the list of available choices in the dropdown box.  

On the Wise Data Recovery utility, the drive letter does show up in the available choices in the dropdown box.  However, when I choose it and click "Analyze", it get an error dialog box saying "Can not get disk information".  When I click "OK" on that dialog box, it closes and I see the dialog box for "scanning", however no activity shows up in the progress bar, and there's no disk activity light flicker on the drive.  

Also, I ran a chkdsk and it found no errors.  Report is attached.

Hope this helps.

Anyway, this is all just FYI purposes.  I really wasn't expecting any specialized support for a free product.  I mostly figured I'd report it to you guys in case it was a glitch, or for future product improvement. 

Other than that, thanks again for a great product.  

post-22132-0-46769700-1389652162_thumb.jpg

Hi MGP,

Thank you for your info.

It is a strange problem. I think your WD MyBook Essentials disk has some partition table errors.

I suggest you to use partition table tools to scan this disk. (e.g, Partition Table Doctor, DiskGenius )

If you can, copy your data to another disk, then format the disk WD MyBook Essentials, it may solve your problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think the problem is with my drive.  I've had it for a couple of years now and have used it on a near daily basis with no problems from any other products, other than the Wise products.  For good measure,I downloaded Piriform's Ccleaner, and it had no problem detecting, scanning, cleaning, and analyzing for defrag. PMy main reason for reporting it to you was it was the first (and only) time a product encountered a problem, which led me to believe that maybe there was some sort of size limitation, since it worked my other drives (1@250GB, [email protected], 2@2TB, the WD @3TB).   To be honest though, I'd never bothered using the WiseCare365 tools on any of my external drives, which is why this particular problem only surfaced in the past few days.

Anyway, thanks again for the prompt responses.  Much appreciated. 

Hi,

I ran the new program, which had a slightly different result than last time, but wasn't a successful run.  Like last time, it still showed "does not support this disk."  However, like yesterday, I still checked the box, clicked "clean", and it showed a "wipe success" of 0 seconds.  See attached.  What is the name of the log file generated?  I looked in the Wisecare365 folders under Pograams (x86), and also under c:\users\appdata, etc and I couldn't find a file with an update date of today.  There's an errorlog.txt file, but that only contains data from a run back in December. 

post-22132-0-57445600-1389801524_thumb.jpg

c:\users\appdata <> c:\users\user-name\appdata\roaming\ !

:D

THANK YOU, Mr. Exclamation point!  I KNEW where to look (hence the "etc") and it's not any of those directories.  Check your attitude at the door if you're going to participate in forums. 

Do you have any of the WD Passport Security and/or utilities software installed?

Can you provide a screenshot of disk management for the drive in question?

Also, from an elevated command prompt (type):

diskpart (cr)

list disk (cr)

select disk x (cr) where x is the number of your external drive

list partition (cr)

Also, can you attache a screenshot of the above result?

post-22247-0-70116700-1389894925_thumb.png

post-22247-0-00147700-1389895166_thumb.jpg

Do you have any of the WD Passport Security and/or utilities software installed?

Can you provide a screenshot of disk management for the drive in question?

Also, from an elevated command prompt (type):

diskpart (cr)

list disk (cr)

select disk x (cr) where x is the number of your external drive

list partition (cr)

Also, can you attache a screenshot of the above result?

No Passport Security or utilities installed.

post-22132-0-29512700-1389900724_thumb.jpg

post-22132-0-51881700-1389900739_thumb.jpg

OK, it looks good on the surface but I suspect there is more to see if we dig a bit deeper!

Go to Admin Tools> System Information> (System Summary)> Components> Storage> Disks and provide a screenshot of the results for your 3TB USB drive.

Also, it would be interesting to see how your special WD passport controller is identified by CrystalDiskInfo. This is a portable download from here:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html  Shizuku Edition [x64 Beta] (zip)

Both of my screenshots are attached below.

post-22247-0-21881000-1389920813_thumb.jpg

post-22247-0-15492900-1389920843_thumb.png

OK, it looks good on the surface but I suspect there is more to see if we dig a bit deeper!

LOL!  I hate to burst your Wisecare bubble, but I've pretty much determined that the problem lies not with my disk, but with the WiseCare tools.  As I stated earlier, no other application in the 2+ years that I've owned has had a problem recognizing, detecting, interacting with (and so on) that drive.  And Ccleaner sees it, wipes it, etc and their Recuva tool can accurately scan it to look for recoverable files.

post-22132-0-75589400-1389922241_thumb.jpg

post-22132-0-99843000-1389922452_thumb.jpg