What should I do if my computer has a virus?

Don't panic if your computer seems to have a virus. Common software problems, such as program execution errors and corrupted files, can create symptoms that appear to be virus-related, so it's important to distinguish between virus symptoms and those that come from corrupted system files. You should also rule out more typical causes (e.g., having recently installed new software) before suspecting a virus. You can try Wise PC 1stAid, it may solve typical problems not caused by virus like PC running very slowly, a very slow bootup or IE stops responding.

However, if your computer begins to act strangely or behaves differently than it has in the past, it may be infected with a virus. Symptoms such as longer-than-normal program load times, unpredictable program behavior, inexplicable changes in file sizes, inability to boot, strange graphics appearing on your screen, or unusual sounds may indicate a virus on your system.

you can try to address the problem with security software.

Note: For personal computers, I recommend Windows Defender for Windows 8.x, which comes as part of Windows 8.x as a full antivirus suite. For Windows 7 and Vista, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, available free of charge via IUware. Be sure to have only one antivirus program installed.

If your antivirus software finds a virus, it will give you the option to repair, delete, or quarantine the infected file. The quarantine option simply copies the infected file to an isolated directory (called the quarantine folder) on your hard drive, which protects it from access by users or other files. Also, if your antivirus software can't repair an infected file (e.g., if the damage is too extensive, or results from an unknown virus), it copies the file into the quarantine folder and deletes it from the drive.

If you have had infected files, you may need to do additional repair work after your virus software has cleaned them. The easiest solution is to open the cleaned file, select all the information in the document, and copy and paste it into a new document.

Note: Files that have been cleaned can often appear to have some file corruption remaining after removal of the virus and macros. If garbage or unwanted words have been introduced into your files, you may be able to use the search and replace function of your word processing or spreadsheet application to eliminate them.

If the infected file was a Microsoft Word file, as a final step you can delete the normal.dotm file (in pre-2007 versions of Office for Windows, the filename will benormal.dot). This file's location varies depending on how Word was installed; use the respective search features of Windows to locate the proper file. Delete the normal.dotm file; the next time you open Word, it will automatically recreate a correct version of this file.

Note: With certain system-level infections, antivirus software cannot entirely remove or repair viral problems and cannot account for changes that may have been made during the infection. In these cases, you will need to perform a clean installation of the operating system. 

Hi Linkin,

Thanks for all those helpful suggestions regarding malware detection, identification and removal. As you stated, they may work or they may not (depending on the severity of the infection). However, the one thing that is the most difficult to deal with is the remnants of the damge left behind "after" the malware is removed. Sometimes, the damage is so severe, it can take many days to uncover and fix all the damage (if that is even possible). With that said, my advice is to create a periodic system image to avoid the need to do a clean install just in case the malware and resulting damage cannot be totally removed/repaired. From my experience, more often than not, the malware removal is the easy part but it may take quite a bit of time to fix all the damage it left behind.

Cheers,

UCanFixIt