Windows can't check for updates

For several months my Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit OS has been unable to update and displays the message "Can't check for updates." Update is set for automatic and when clicking "check for updates" it goes on for a long time finally returning with a message to restart to install updates, which, of course, doesn't happen.

I have tried most everything I can find online with no success. Because I bought the computer with the OS installed I do not have a Vista install disc.

Suggestions?

Operating system:Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 2

System root: C:\Windows

Available physical memory: 4026 MB

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz

Drive Info:

C: 285.62 GB

D: 12.47 GB

Internet Explorer: 9.0

Hi and thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I have tried all of the above.  The sfc command returns "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete."  Of course, rebooting accomplishes nothing with respect to the problem.  Can't run troubleshooter.  Doesn't understand the file extension.

Greetings, again.

When I retry the sfc command, it always yields the same result as above.  Yes I have downloaded and run the correct Vista troubleshooter (as well as downloading the diagcab one  . . . just in case.)  Still no change.  Interesting, but frustrating.

Can't run troubleshooter.  Doesn't understand the file extension.

Have you tried running MicrosoftFixit.wu.MATSKB.Run.exe directly from your browser or did you download it and click to execute it? Seems like there is more to your issue than meets the eye IMHO. The recognition/association of the exe file association is inherent to the OS; therefore, you may be dealing with an active malware infection and/or the remnants thereof. Also, the fact that you have a pending repair "stuck" is also suspicious.

Here is an MS Fixit for the .exe recognition problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

If the above doesn't work. Post your issue here to make sure you are and/or have not been infected:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Good luck.