Autoshutdown vs Win 10 activity

solane

Newly installed, I've set autoshutdown to load at startup and configured it to activate a shutdown after 1 hour idle, primarily to secure the PC if I leave without shutting it down.. Now, if my email client checks for mail every 10 minutes, there will never be an idle time. Which is a problem! To further test this, I turned off the email and any other utilities that might be running. But, Windows itself does its insidious little things in the background, some of which cannot be stopped. So, Autoshutdown based on idle time won't work. What's the solution, if there is one?

Thanks for your help.

Solane

Thanks, xilolee

Hi,solane

About "Idle" task, wise auto shutdown will check if CPU usage is lower than 5% and there is not mouse/keyboard or other input device activity, it will start the timer. If system stay on idle over 15 minutes, it will start Idle task.
For example, I set up a 1 minute On idle  shutdown task, when system go into idle, wise auto shutdown will shutdown system after 16 minutes. During this 16 minutes, if CPU usage over 5%, or you move mouse, the timing will be stopped, until system goes into idle the timer will starts again.

Thanks for the explanation.

So, what this means is... if I have an email client that checks for email every 5 minutes (cpu usage 13-14% each time), the idle task will never run its course. Right?

Yes, the idle task will never run if CPU usage over 5% every 5 minutes.

My suggestion, if you want to shut down PC that means you don't need to receive emails, so you can set up a normal daily shutdown task, or specified time task. or change email client checking time to every 20 minutes.