• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 wisecleaner_admin

wisecleaner_admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Solution for Wise Registry Cleaner being reported as a PUP and blocked by Antivirus

Recently, we have received some feedback from users. Malwarebytes and his partner AdwCleaner consider some registry key, files, folders of WRC as threats and lead users to remove them. The threat is called PUP.Optional.WiseRC. Once you click the "Remove" button, Wise Registry Cleaner will be removed by them. You need to reinstall Wise Registry Cleaner and register it again (if you are using Pro version).

How to solve PUP.Optional.WiseRC?
If you are using Malwarebytes.
1, Download Wise Registry Cleaner from WiseCleaner Download Center.
If you have downloaded and installed Wise Registry Cleaner, but Malwarebytes quarantined Wise Registry Cleaner files automatically, please open Malwarebytes - History - Quarantine, select Wise Registry Cleaner, and click Restore.
Attached File  quarantine.png   38.78K   37 downloads

2, Open Malwarebytes - Settings - Malware Exclusions - Add File, browser and select Wise Registry Cleaner installation file
Attached File  exclusion-installer.png   100.01K   40 downloads

3, Install Wise Registry Cleaner, please remember to Uncheck Launch Wise Registry Cleaner.

4, Open Malwarebytes - Settings - Malware Exclusions - Add Folder
Attached File  exclusion-folder.png   97.12K   50 downloads
Please run Wise Registry Cleaner, then close it.

5, Open Malwarebytes, click Scan, then UNCHECK the boxes beside all the threats of WRC, then click "Next" and select "Ignore always".
Attached File  uncheck.png   64.07K   48 downloads
Attached File  ignore.png   22.89K   49 downloads
Attached File  exclusion.png   84.64K   46 downloads

6, If you are using Malwarebytes 3, same operation as Malwarebytes 2 to ignore/exclude Wise Registry Cleaner. Uncheck all Wise Registry Cleaner entries -> Click Next button, then you will see a popup window, you need to click Ignore always, then Wise Registry Cleaner will be added to Malwarebytes exclusion list.

Attached File  m3-1.png   90.33K   3 downloads

Attached File  m3-2.png   36.89K   1 downloads

7, Now, all Wise Registry Cleaner files have been added to exclusion list, you can run Wise Registry Cleaner as usual.

If you are using AdwCleaner, you need to uncheck the items of wisecleaner before cleaning.
Attached File  uncheck2.png   84.71K   38 downloads

What is PUP.Optional.WiseRC?
PUP is potentially unwanted software. We didn't find the explanation of PUP.Optional.WiseRC on Malwarebytes LABs. The Following is an example of another threat PUP.Optional.Wajam.

PUP.Optional.Wajam and all associated detection names refer to a type of Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) that is a browser add-on marketed as a “social search.” It injects additional adverts into the websites you visit, making it possible to redirect traffic to potentially malicious websites, as well as collect personal information.

Is Wise Registry Cleaner malware?
No! We Guarantee Wise Registry Cleaner and other WiseCleaner products are NOT Malware/Trojan/Virus... All WiseCleaner Products are Safe!

• IrvingFies, Justinsereno, AnthonyPoelf and 32 others like this

We want to put smile on your face.   :)

Any feature questions and ideas, please feel free to contact us!

-----

News: Cyber week promotion. 

blackfriday-2017.png

-----

Best Regards,

WiseCleaner.com

Follow us on:

facebook.png  Twitter.png  g+32.png  YouTube_32x32.png  linkedin_32x32.png

#2 xilolee

xilolee

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

The reason of this detection is that the installer offers (or offered?) to download and install spyhunter.
I.e., Malwarebytes antimalware (aka MBAM) warns that the user could install a "Potentially Unwanted Program".
Another way to bypass the problem is to set MBAM to warn user about detection in settings, detection and protection, non-malware protection, PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) detections:
When a MBAM user will scan (generic) installers with a PUP inside them, MBAM will show a window asking:

Spoiler
Screenshot:
Spoiler
It is also possible to ignore detections.

By the way, I've downloaded and ran current WRC installer and it didn't offer me to download/install spyhunter.
Did you remove it?

If yes, MBAM should remove this detection.

I am not a Wise employee, but an helper made moderator.

#3 noghere

noghere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

The problem is not SpyHunter. It would be better WRC and MBAM talk to each other to find the right solution.

#4 xilolee

xilolee

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

And what is the problem in your opinion?
They added WRC after WiseCare added "potentially unwanted programs/applications" in WRC installer (IIRC, also WiseDiskCleaner and WiseFolderHider...?).

#5 noghere

noghere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

And what is the problem in your opinion?
They added WRC after WiseCare added "potentially unwanted programs/applications" in WRC installer (IIRC, also WiseDiskCleaner and WiseFolderHider...?).

On my opinion Wise company image woud be severely damaged. The same happens using Norton Power Eraser.

#6 xilolee

xilolee

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Yes, but now the installers come without PUP/PUA and MBAM didn't remove the reports.

#7 noghere

noghere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

May be, but I really don't understand the reason why, for example, CCleaner is OK and WRC is PUP.

#8 xilolee

xilolee

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

This question should be asked to MBAM team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: malwarebytes, PUP.Optional..WiseRC, solution