What is "unsafe" in "Deep Scan" ?

pstein

• 3 weeks later...

pstein, I have a Rule of Thumb that you can use in that area. It is the Rule of Thumb that I use when using ANY Cleaning App, especially when dealing in the Registry area.

The Rule of Thumb is: If you don't know what something is (any of the items the scan found) and don't know what the consequences of removing it would be ... then leave it alone. Do NOT delete it. Do NOT allow the Cleaning App to "FIX" it.

For example: In my case, when I use the Fast Scan, the Wise Registry Cleaner doesn't find anything in the ActiveX / COM Components category. However, the Deep Scan WILL find 14 items. But, in viewing the information of those 14 items that the Deep Scan finds, I don't recognize anything. I cannot decipher anything. I do not know what any of those 14 items are related to. Thus, I do not know what the consequences would be of removing any of those 14 items. So, I just leave them alone. I do not delete them.

@Chim:

Your rule of thumb is nonsense.

I have worked for many years in software development. I am not a Registry expert but have done a lot with Registry.

So to classify changes and repairs just as "fast" and "Deep" is by far not enough.

Would you buy a car when the seller just tells you "The car has great features. If you don't understand motor technique stick with your bicycle"?

Or if you want to buy a computer and the seller offers you a "normal" and a "fast" model and he tells you "if you don't be familiar with computer equipment take the simple one"

It is dissappointing that WiSe does not even try to list some of the advanced "deep" Registry repairs.

A smart way of showing differences between "fast" and "deep" scan would be to let the user do a "deep" scan analysis at first and mark in the result list the "fast" repairs. This way the user could distinguish between the two repair items sets.

Peter

If you had really worked in software for many years and "done a lot with registry," you would have had a better understanding of what is going on. There is a reason the WiseCleaner Administrator pretty much echos what I said, only in a more succinct manner. I have seen / read the same logic in forum after forum.

Your analogies were NOT remotely the same as working with the registry. You used the analogy of BUYING a car or a computer. If you really wanted your analogies to be the same as working with the registry ... use the analogy of REPAIRING / FIXING a car or a computer. In other words, if you're NOT a good Auto Mechanic or a good Computer Technician, you should not dive into trying to FIX a car or a computer ... because very undesirable consequences can result.

But ... do as you wish. I'm 100% sure you're going to think my additional commentary is nonesense as well. So, no use me trying to offer more help. Hopefully the WiseCleaner Administrator will give you the answer for which you're looking.

Thanks Peter and Chim.

Hey Peter, you said you worked for many years in software development, it means you are not computer newbie. So, when WRC run Deep Scan, list result, and you know what are they, which one can be safely removed, which one cannot be, even if you are not a registry expert.
But, if a newbie, when he see so many entries, some are checked but else are not, he may be confused, maybe he will select all entries to remove. It is very dangerous, although WRC will backup registry before clean.
So, we suggest newbie or common user use Fast Scan, it is safe and fast than Deep Scan.

• 3 months later...